Raid Healing Thoughts, Tips, and Feedback: MC and beyond

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft: Classic' started by stafoo, Jan 16, 2020.

1. stafoo

stafoo Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Officer

Howdy Everyone, Over the past couple weeks I've gotten some questions related to healing in raids which got me thinking that it might be nice to put together a post that is part tips and tricks, and part best practices for our healers. This is not meant to be set in stone and I'm happy to be wrong about anything mentioned here. If you think there's a better solution to anything suggested here speak up! I can also add additional tips here as well.

Overall I think we've been improving a lot as a healing core though there are always areas to improve. Improving how we work together as a team will help to improve clear times and push dps in MC, and progress into harder content in BWL.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MC trash:
    - This applies to everything but it is highly suggested you have an addon called HealCommClassic installed. This allows your heals to display for yourself and other healers in the raid. For example I can tell when a big heal is being cast on a raid member and not waste my time trying to also heal them. This addon is also included in most of the popular healing addons at this point, if you're unsure if you have it let me know and we can test it out in group!
    - In general I think we're very solid on most trash. If you're at full mana with nothing to do toss some down ranked heals at the tanks. This will alleviate Tank healing and allow us to stop less for mana.
    - For raid healing generally avoid Heal over Time (HoT) effects as they're likely to get sniped by chain heals from shamans or other healers
    - An exception to this is warlocks! throughout the raid on trash and on bosses they want to be life tapping to get mana and keep casting. Basically the more uptime on HoT effects raid healers can keep on them the more damage they can do.
    - For elemental packs that fireball random raid members priests can setup a macro that targets power word: shield on the target of your target. With quick reaction time you can cast PW:S onto whoever is about to be fireballed as soon as you see the elemental switch targets off of the tank. This functionality is also built into some UI and bar addons so you may be able to enable this functionality for all heals whenever targeting non-friendly targets. This lets you keep an enemy mob targeted and automatically heal whoever it is targeting. Sometimes this is useful. other times not as much.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lucifron:
    - similar to the tip above priests can keep one of the adds targeted and automatically dispel whoever dominate mind is cast on by simply watching the target change off the main tank and spamming dispel.
    - Shamans can purge the mind control as well! This is especially useful as they generally have less specific mechanics to worry about during this fight, so be looks for the MC targets.
    Magmadar:
    - Stay at max range to avoid getting feared at all during this fight
    Baron Geddon:
    - Dispels on MT healers should be priority in this fight before dps
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shazzrah:

- With our current strategy of sending melee at the end of the fight, priests should start casting PW:S on all melee at around 30% to help keep them safe as they go in
    General thoughts on assignments:
    - While we do try to make assignments for boss fights and general assignmets for trash these shouldn't be viewed as exclusive.
    - If you have an assignment that is generally easy, help out your fellow healers which may have tougher assignments!
    - If you have preferences in assignments also let me know. I generally settled into the current pattern of assignments mostly at random and based on when people joined the guild. If you think you can better utilized elsewhere I'm always open to trying new setups.
    General Tank healing thoughts:
    -
    For most tank healing assignments we have priests and druids assigned to tanks.
    - Druids provide 2 heal over time spells as well as healing touch. It's important to note that even with reduced cast time healing touch is a 3 second cast
    - Priests provide 1 heal over time, 2.5 second cast heal and greater heal, as well as 1.5 second cast flash heal.
    - What this means is that the reaction time of priest healing is significantly faster than druids. As such i would generally recommend druids to be keeping HoTs up and generally casting low rank healing touch to be mana efficient and absorb lower consistent damage. I don't know exactly what rank i'd generally recommend, but probably something that heals around 1k
    - With druids primarily trying to provide steady consistent healing it falls on the priests to handle the large spikes of damage that occur during boss fights. This means we want to be pre-casting larger heals (greater heal rank 1 is what i usually default to). We are then letting this complete when a large spike in damage comes through.
    - If the tank is not immediately topped back up to 90% plus it is then appropriate to start using flash heal. The reason to switch to flash heal at this point is that from 50% health a tank can easily die within a 2.5 second cast time. In an ideal situation your druid healer's 3 second healing touch will be finishing soon and help, but this isn't always the case. So it is your responsibility to make sure the tank stays up until the druid's longer cast time spells come in to top the tank back up. Once the tank is back above 80% or so you can resume pre-casting of longer more mana efficient spells.
    -Communicate! Call yourself low at ~20% mana so other healers can adjust/react. If you suddenly stop healing because you're oom and other thank healers don't know the tank can die even when there is mana available because they weren't ready for the increase in healing they need to pickup.
    And Finally:
    Looking forward to BWL!
    - Our current healing roster looks like this on average (updated 2/3/2020):
    2 resto druids (Telf/Moxei)
    4-5 holy/disc priests (Stafoo,Macros,Valeb,Snoxx,jorbad)
    4-5 resto shamans (Eldelarie/Rashuna, Dawitchdoc, Jomadu, Proof, Namtaru/Dyaus)

- From what i understand in BWL most guilds are looking to run ~12 healers due to higher overall raid damage and also boss damage.
    - What this means for us is that if we go in with our current roster of healers we may run into issues with keeping people alive, especially as some of these fights go on significantly longer than MC fights
    - If anyone is thinking about trying out healing (specifically looking at shamans here as that's where we have the most people who could potentially respec) please think about if this is something you might enjoy. From what i understand there is a nice hybrid spec that does great raid healing while also being really good in pvp.
    - Don't be shy about recruiting a few more healers!

That's all I've got. As I said before if people have additional tips and tricks, comments on anything above please post and let me know!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    LoganSilver likes this.
  2. LoganSilver

LoganSilver Epic Gamer Epic Gamer

Great post Stafoo!

While hots are not the best raid heal, us warlocks appreciate them. If I get a hot, I life tap more to ensure it gets used to its maximum potential. This is by no means to say that hots on warlocks are a priority. But we definitely appreciate them when the healer has the luxury (time and mana) to cast them on us.

stafoo likes this.
  3. stafoo

excellent point. Yeah keeping up a renew on locks is definitely very helpful! I'll add that into general tips

4. Proof

Proof Conceited Cupcake Bastard Legendary Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

Doesn't even mention shamans other than we try to have 2-3 at least.

Geeze how mean.

stafoo likes this.
  5. stafoo

if only we had someone with shaman knowledge to give shaman tips :(

Proof likes this.