Too many things look like fun. What to focus on?

Discussion in 'ArcheAge' started by Ivy, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Ivy

Ivy Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

After spending about an hour dithering over which of the guild's Orders I should join, it hit me that I'm experiencing one of those "first world problems" that people talk about. I love every aspect of this game, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to focus on in those crucial first few weeks.

Since I'm new to AA - started in CB4 and only played up to about level 25 - I was hoping some of you more experienced hands can help me out with advice.

I love PvP. Some of my best memories from other MMOs are from those last minute flag caps in WoW, MC'ing someone off a cliff *coughcough*, Huttball craziness in SWTOR, WvW in GW2. I generally PvP as a healer, and those occasions where I can single-handedly turn the tide in a battle are awesome. Sadly, it appears that leveling as a healer is an exercise in frustration. I'm not sure how to get to the point where I can both level effectively and then heal effectively in pvp once I hit level cap.

I love PvE. I've raided for longer than I care to think about in WoW. I enjoy the strategizing, perfecting my gameplay, learning that precise choreography with my teammates that finally kills a boss we've wiped on all night long. I tend to enjoy ranged dps in PvE. I played around with both Primeval and Ranger for CB4 and enjoyed them immensely.

I love the idea of having a farm and a house to take care of. Growing trees and flowers? Arranging furniture? Oh man... It's like being a little girl with a dollhouse all over again! I wouldn't mind helping Genesis with this, but they appear to be the most popular order and probably don't need my help in order to flourish.

In short, I'm open to anything, but I feel like the clock is ticking and I need to make a decision soon. Feeling so indecisive... Halp!

Roundtuit likes this.
  2. Kinson

Kinson Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

You don't have to declare an order immediately (or ever, actually). I would wait to get more hands on experience and then decide if you want to join an order. Either way, you can still do all the things you love.

3. Vanye

Vanye Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

@Ivy The Orders are simply there to provide structure to those who want it. You are not required to join one. Play the game the way you want to and if you find yourself doing one thing more than the others, then consider joining the order for it. Once you are signed up for an Order, if all 3 Orders have totally different planned events all at the same time, you would be expected to participate in your Orders event and not the others. You will not be excluded from other Orders events though if they do not conflict.

4. Shiala

Shiala Obssesed with Glam way too much. Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

This! :p

5. Ivy

Thanks for the replies :)

I understand that joining an Order is optional, but in fact I would very much like to do so! Working with others towards a specific goal is the soul of an MMO, for me. But I'll take your advice to heart and try to relax and enjoy the open beta before I commit myself one way or another.

6. Bärenstark

Bärenstark Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I will also join in the choir and say that you should spend some more time in the game to determine what you really want to do. The orders won't be going anywhere and will welcome you when you know exactly what you want out of AA.

7. Schanny

Schanny Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Don't listen to any of them! Join Warfare and be my personal healer! But seriously, a number of us weren't planning on leveling solo anyway so being a healer is perfectly fine. I'm sure there are always groups to join.

8. SurgeMonkey

SurgeMonkey Epic Gamer Epic Gamer WoW: Classic Officer Veteran Member

You have all the time in the world! Don't ever feel pressured into something.
    Play the game and find out as you go along!

What i got from your post was that you are excited about ArcheAge regardless of the orders and that is a good thing!
    If you can be excited about the game as a whole, then i would say hold off on your choice (if you ever make one). The guild will back any choice you make as this is about you and not what the guild requires :)

But if it makes you feel any better, then don't listen to @Schanny
    They might have cookies, but Genesis are the ones who make them ;) :D :D

Ivy and Cyndir like this.
  9. Cyndir

Cyndir Ranger RAGE! Honored Legendary Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member 2009 Original Member

Too true. Take your time. You don't have to join an order to contribute nor do you have to declare one straight away.

So get to know game and what you like and go from there. :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. Kwans

Kwans Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Hey Ivy, we got the same problem! I started on CBT4 as well. Every part of this game seems to grab my short attention :p.

So, my solution is that I'm going to do everything I want or as requested. I'll accept a quest, then back to craft some silly things, then run around looking for illegal farm to steal, then back to fishing, build a boat and sail to die in the sea, then back to actually do the quest.

The most important part is to have fun. Hope to see you enjoying the game :D

11. Peppermint

Peppermint Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

We need a jack-of-all-trade order! :p

Roundtuit and Kwans like this.
  12. Roundtuit

Roundtuit Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I've been feeling exactly the same Ivy! I played some CB3&4, but barely scratched the surface of the game. I did jump into the Genesis channel at the meeting, but have been a little worried that I will be locked into crafting when maybe I will be wishing I was sailing a ship, or pvp, or ?. I know I could quit Genesis later, but I wouldn't do that. If I commit to something I do it even if I wish I was doing something else. A prime example of that is when I continued raiding in WoW, for a year after I was ready to quit and move on to something else, because I was committed to my guild and it's needs.

So, taking the advice of those who had the chance to play alpha for many months, I think I will do as Kwans plans to do and just enjoy learning and playing the game my way for now.

I will still concentrate my farming and gathering efforts for mats the guild needs. I plan to do land rush, for my cottage and with my alt to hold farm space. I'm hoping I will be able to get in guild groups for that at release.

Ivy, Kwans and Shiala like this.
  13. Clutch

Clutch Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I'm going to help with the Warfare Order when I can because I enjoy PvP, but I also plan to take my time leveling since I've never really gone beyond the teens in Beta. I see it more as a long term focus that I'll grow into as I learn more about the upper levels of the game.

14. Ivy

Hehehe. Possibly we can work out a trade @Schanny. You need to stop by and harvest my barley and pluck my geese, whaddaya say? I've wanted my own personal farmboy ever since I read "The Princess Bride" ;) j/k!

Mmmm cookies!

@Kwans and @Roundtuit - I'm in complete agreement, couldn't have put it better. And yes @Peppermint, we need to inaugurate our own "Order of N O T H I N G" :D

Thanks to all for replying, I'm definitely going to just mellow out. Erm. A little anyway. If I can. :heart: