Visiting the Big Apple!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by josua, May 13, 2019.

1. josua

josua Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I am planning a trip to NYC for a week with my 15 year old daughter. I am looking for some "local insight" into what those of you who live there, or have traveled there, have found interesting and suitable for her and I. Arriving on 7/18 and leaving 7/25.

I am also looking for hotel recommendations, prefer to stay in the Central Park/Times Square area. Looking for a fun atmosphere hotel.

Of course, I plan on doing the normal touristy stuff:
    - Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island - 9/11 Memorial
    - Central Park - Zoo and Museums
    - China Town/Little Italy

@LoanWolf - up for meeting up for dinner one night? Not too many drinks because I have my daughter and I do not want her to see that.

Thanks

2. Bulldog

Bulldog Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

3. Averie

Averie Averie#1956 - Add me! Website Administrator Mythic Gamer Veteran Member

Staying at a hotel in the city has always been too rich for my blood lol. I can't help you there sorry D:
    Maybe @Avocet would have a recommendation.

Central Park is beautiful :heart:

Your little list right there seems pretty full as is and I think you've got your bases covered. There's honestly so much to see just walking around Times Square ...

Seeing a show on Broadway is honestly a really cool experience and the only thing I can think to add off the top of my head :)
    But that can be pretty big money depending on your seats and what you go see lol.

Zeklomontu likes this.
  4. josua

Thank you Averie. I actually forgot to mention the Broadway play. We are deciding on which show to go to now.

5. Averie

Averie Averie#1956 - Add me! Website Administrator Mythic Gamer Veteran Member

I've seen the Lion King and Marry Poppins. Really would like to see more shows one of these days.
    They were both spectacular. The Lion King is more iconic but no matter what you see it will be amazing.

I've wanted to see Wicked for the longest time. I loved the book, although I read it so long ago most if it is pretty fuzzy now lol.

What shows are you considering?

6. LoanWolf

LoanWolf Rangers > Berzerkers Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

I am for sure in for some eats Josua. 631-338-7418. Just text me a week before your there.

As for things to do. Dont overthink it. Youll never to everything in the city. Some of the most fun Ive had in the city has been just going with my cousin and we walked from Brooklyn to Manhatten and just made our own route. I highly suggest that. Stop where you want to stop. Times square youll see regardless but just the atmosphere there is pretty epic. But just go off and explore. You cant really get lost, street numbers go up and down.

7. LoanWolf

LoanWolf Rangers > Berzerkers Honored Mythic Gamer Tenacious Gamer Veteran Member

Id definately try and go to one of the comedy clubs as well and Yankee stadium is always pretty epic.

8. josua

So, I think we are considering between Lion King, Aladdin and Phantom of the Opera. We saw Mary Poppins last time we were in New York, about 5 years ago. I had heard that at the end she flies over the crowd, so i actually bought the seats in the Balcony that she flew directly over. My daughter loved it.

@LoanWolf thanks man. We actually travel into Chicago quite often and that is what we do. Just pick a direction and walk. Maybe you are right, we should just do the same in NY. I'll text you a week out and hopefully you and Averie can meet us.

Averie likes this.
  9. Kenne

Kenne Tenacious Gamer Tenacious Gamer

I can recommend this place below - as its not right in Times Square but right below it - so saves you much money.. just tell them you don't want a street side room - too noisy early in the mornings as the vendors get going early

Parking is across the street in a Garage if you are getting a car or driving and its just through the Lincoln Tunnel if you are driving to the big City

Walking distance to the Fashion District , Times Square or Theatres

Be sure to Choose the Times Square "South" as there is a Times Square one for bigger costs

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Times Square South
    341 West 36th Street, New York,New York, 10018, USATEL: +1-212-542-8990

10. josua

Thanks a Ton @Kenne !